Pbs_rstat @remote_server doesn't seem to work?

Hi,

I tried using pbs_rstat @remote_server, as mentioned in the ref guide (section 2.29.5.2), but it didn’t work for me:

[ravi@pbspro2 ~]$ pbs_rstat @pbspro

pbs_rstat: illegally formed reservation identifier: @pbspro

Am I doing something wrong here? Is this a bug?

I think you need to provide a reservation identifier.

I’m thinking @agrawalravi90 may want to get a list of all reservations on the remote server. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a documented way to do that.

Looks like a doc bug to me. 2.29.5.2 should say that you use @
when you’re specifying the reservation ID. Right now it makes it sound
as if you can use @ alone.

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried using the reservation id and saw some weird results:

[ravi@pbspro2]$ pbs_rstat R0.pbspro @pbspro
Resv ID Queue User State Start / Duration / End
---------------------------------------------------------------------
R0.pbspro R0 ravi@pbs CO Fri 00:00 / 3600 / Fri 01:00
pbs_rstat: illegally formed reservation identifier: @pbspro

This seemed to suggest that it took the remote server name from the job id itself, so then I just removed @server and tried it again:
[ravi@pbspro2 ~]$ pbs_rstat R0.pbspro
Resv ID Queue User State Start / Duration / End
---------------------------------------------------------------------
R0.pbspro R0 ravi@pbs CO Fri 00:00 / 3600 / Fri 01:00

Sure enough, seems like it just picks up remote server name from the job id, not from the @remote notation.

Is this expected behavior? The reference guide definitely mentions the @server notation, which doesn’t seem to be supported. pbs_rstat should probably be consistent with the syntax of qstat and use @server:
[ravi@pbspro2 ~]$ qstat @pbspro
Job id Name User Time Use S Queue
---------------- ---------------- ---------------- -------- - -----
1.pbspro STDIN ravi 00:00:00 R workq

What do you guys think?

I think it is a bug.

Thanks Prakash, I’ve filed it here: https://pbspro.atlassian.net/browse/PP-914

I don’t think the “at server name” is supposed to be an argument by itself. I think the intended format is…

pbs_rstat R0.foo@bar

where R0.foo is the reservation name and bar is the server name. Notice there is no space before the “at” symbol.

Using this syntax you could specify a number of unique reservation/server items to status with one command.

Hi Ravi,

Please understand that the ref guide entry was wrong. Thanks.

Regards,
-Anne

Thanks Mike. This indeed works, I’ve closed the ticket that I had filed as not valid.

I’ve instead filed a new one for adding a way to stat all reservations from a remote server:
https://pbspro.atlassian.net/browse/PP-919

Thanks for the clarifications all!

Oops, my reply below was supposed to go in this related thread: PP-919: Add the abilty to stat all reservations from a remote server

I am all for the change, but I actually think this is a bug rather than an RFE and so may not actually need an EDD. The pbs_rstat man page says:

Reservations at a server other than the default server:
   Specify the remote server's name using @remote_server.
   For an advance reservation:
       [R]sequence_number[.server_name][@remote_server]
   For a standing reservation:
       [S]sequence_number[.server_name][@remote_server]

Though I suppose one could read that second line both ways, either as an explicit declaration that you can use @remote_server by itself, OR as just a preface to the two scenarios that follow that include the sequence_number.