Qmgr -c 'set server est_start_time_freq ...' fails

Can you elaborate if this is because the feature will be removed completely from PBSpro - or if it will be available in some “less free” version also in the future? Ie is it a restricted or simply discontinued feature?

With the present product, it seems that I have no way to determine if a job will run “in finite time”. Presently, I cannot (easily) differentiate between a job queued because other jobs presently utilize resources - or queued because the requested resources are not available on the cluster at all (say, a job has requested a node with more cores than available on any of the nodes). In both cases, the job comment is set to

comment = Not Running: Insufficient amount of resource: <RESOURCE>

and I have found no other reliable way to differentiate those jobs. See also thread Scheduler and jobs that Can Never Run

How can I actually get readings for these? I would have expected to find them eg in

qstat -f <JOBID>

or in the scheduler log.

Can I tweak how many “top jobs” estimated start times will be computed for? If yes - then how? The admin guide (AG-133) mention use of backfill_depth, but the ref guide (RG-336) denotes backfill_depth as obsolete.
(I assume that the times and locations will update on every scheduler iteration).

An estimation of start time is not crucial for us at this time, but it is important for us to know that a job will eventually run. Does PbsPro have another way to single out jobs, which cannot run given the presently configured resources? (Excluding nodes explicitly set OFFLINE - as that is necessary in order to let jobs default to a particular node group - see

If I cannot get a handle on the start time, I would like to get an answer to the following question (for each job in the queue): If there were no other jobs in the queue, would the present job then be able to run?

Best,

/Bjarne