Best way to exempt a node from a hook?

Hi:
we have been running the cgroups hooks on all of our “public” nodes for quite a while. We have added two new “Private” nodes to the cluster that we don’t need the
cgroups or vnodes functionality.

What is the best way to exempt a specific node from the hooks?

thanks
-ron

Hello @ron,

Updating the cgroup hook configuration file allows you to disable the hook on individual nodes or vnode types. The “no_cgroups” vnode type should be excluded by default, so you can either change the vnode type of the nodes or update the “exclude_hosts” top-level parameter. Note that individual cgroup subsystems may be disabled in the same way.

Try exporting the cgroup hook configuration configuration file through qmgr to view its contents.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks MIke:

Could you please expand on what you mean by top level parameter?

In looking at “export hook cgroups …” it references the exclude_vntypes but it
doesn’t check for no_cgroups.

We are running version 13.0.1.152265 (if it makes a difference).

-ron

Please have a look at the cgroup project documentation here: https://pbspro.atlassian.net/wiki/display/PD/PP-325%3A+Support+Cgroups

When I referred to a “top level parameter” I meant those items at the top of the file not enclosed within the “cgroup” section. Those are global parameters that affect all cgroup subsystems. If I want to completely disable the cgroup hook on a node, then I could either add the node to the “exclude_hosts” list or set the node to one of the vnode types listed in “exclude_vntypes”.

thanks Mike… I got it. PP-325 was very enlightening!

-ron