I recently, inadvertently, changed something about the output of the printjob command: printjob prints the job’s internal state and substate, I changed the code to store the job’s state as a letter instead of a number, so now when printjob prints the internal state, it prints a letter instead of a number.
I didn’t create a design doc for this change because the output of printjob command is undocumented. So, just like we don’t document or announce changes to other undocumented interfaces like daemon logs (excluding accounting logs), I feel that it doesn’t make sense to document a change to printjob’s output either. We also clearly state in our guides that users should use qstat for generic purposes, not printjob.
I know that there are opinions against my viewpoint on this, so I wanted to start this thread to discuss this further and get other opinions.