Issues running command from hook (Performance Co-Pilot)

I’m trying to write an execjob_prologue hook to trigger a logging service (Performance Co-Pilot) at the start of every job. I’m trying to use the subprocess module to invoke it, but it’s not working as I expect.

Here’s my hook:

import pbs
import sys
import datetime
import socket
import subprocess

e = pbs.event()
j = e.job

try:
  jobdatelong = datetime.datetime.today().strftime('%Y%m%d.%H.%M.%S')

jobid = j.id
  jobid = jobid.replace('-', '_')

fullhost = socket.gethostname()
  today = datetime.date.today()
  logdir = '/var/log/pcp/pmlogger/'+fullhost+'/'+str(today.year)+'/'+'{:02d}'.format(today.month)+'/'+str(today.day)

command = ['env', 'PMLOGGER_PROLOG=yes', 'pmlogger', '-U', 'pcp', '-c', '/etc/pcp/pmlogger/pmlogger-supremm.config', '-s', '4', '-l', '/tmp/job-'+jobid+'-begin-'+jobdatelong+'.log', logdir+'/job-'+jobid+'-begin-'+jobdatelong]

subprocess.Popen(command)
except SystemExit:
  pass
except Exception as x:
  e.reject(str(x))

From my testing, the “pmlogger” command should create log files as soon as the command is started, but when I test this hook it seems as though it never even starts, the files I expect are never created. I’ve tried outputting information returned by subprocess.popen I get a PID and a return code of “None”, which would oddly suggest that it didn’t terminate right away. However, if I write the PID to a file and quickly try to find it in top, I can’t find any matching processes. The command should run for about 40 seconds, but it appears to be ending long before that.

I’ve tried running this command from a regular bash terminal and it works correctly there. Is there something different about the environment of running from a PBS hook or with python’s subprocess module that could possibly cause it to fail? Any suggestions on how to debug this would be greatly appreciated.

Try using the full path to the commands since your shell profile has not be loaded.