I would like to suggest a new server attribute. Please see the design document.
PBS can easily generate huge amount of emails for one user. This can be easily marked as spam or considered as same nasty behavior. The mail server can be blacklisted as a result, which is very unpleasant. We should be able to control this behavior.
The change offers the possibility to preprocess emails like some aggregation or ditching unnecessary emails. The preprocessing is supposed to happen outside PBS in an external script. It could do some smart things with emails…
The example of the script will be a part of this change. I suggest to put it into the directory “unsupported”. My initial ideas for the script are the following:
- the mailer script will consist of two parts: the saver and the deamon
- the server attribute “mailer” is supposed to be set to saver
- the saver will save the email into simple sqlite db
- the deamon will consume the emails from the db - check the db regularly for new emails and send them aggerated within a configurable time
- the first email for a particular user will be sent immediately, subsequent emails will be aggregated and the whole bunch of emails will be sent in one email once for the configurable time
Please, let me know what do you think.