Enhancing pbs_snapshot for multi-sched

Hi,

With the multi-sched feature (PP-337: Multiple schedulers servicing the PBS cluster) being checked in, pbs_snapshot will need to be enhanced to capture information from all of the schedulers correctly. Right now, it captures the following information about the default scheduler:

• qmgr list sched
  • sched_priv
  • sched_logs

With multisched in the picture, qmgr list sched should still work out of the box to capture info about all schedulers. But sched_priv and sched_logs of the different schedulers will need to be captured separately for each scheduler. That’s what I’m thinking is the only enhancement needed.

Right now I’m thinking to capture all the sched_privs and sched_logs in the first level of the snapshot directory itself, so they’ll appear at (snapshot name)/(sched_priv_name), this would be consistent with the default location that PBS stores them at (PBS_HOME/(sched_priv_name)).

Here’s the design doc: https://pbspro.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PD/pages/212631555/Add+multi-sched+support+to+pbs+snapshot

Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. Thanks!

@scc , requesting a review from you on this. Thanks!

Thanks @agrawalravi90, this looks good to me.

1 Like

@agrawalravi90 sched_priv and sched_log information that you are going to get from qmgr is going to be the path of those files. You can probably get the sched name and make it like “sched_priv_<sched_name>”.

What do you think?

Thanks for the input Arun. Will the path not include the name of the directories themselves? I was just thinking of picking out the name of the sched_priv and sched_log directories from the paths and using them to name the snapshot equivalents. Will that not work?

You are right path will include the name of the directory, but If I understand correctly you are thinking of picking up just the last directory then that might not be sufficient like if there are 2 schedulers with priv as /var/spool/pbs/sched_priv and /var/tmp/pbs/sched_priv then you might end up having same priv directory name.

Ah, I see your point, I like your suggestion, I’ve modified the EDD to reflect that, please let me know if it looks fine.

@scc, requesting you to review the change as well. Thanks!

looks good @agrawalravi90

Makes sense, good catch @arungrover.

Just created a PR for this: https://github.com/PBSPro/pbspro/pull/616