New option -D in pbs_ralter to change duration of a reservation

Hi,
I have added a design doc for adding a new option -D to pbs_ralter to change duration of the reservation. Please take a look and provide feedback

Thanks,
Tejas

Please provide more details surrounding failure cases. For example, if I have a running reservation and I decrease the duration to the point where the reservation should have already completed, will the reservation end immediately or will the command produce an error. I’m guessing the same behavior would happen if I use pbs_ralter to set the end time in the past.

Hey @tejas.pai
I have a few comments:

• Is the value of -D a long or a duration? If it is a duration then you should be able to give it 1:00:00. If so, add an example with this form.
  • You might want to go through the guide and see how this will affect what is already in there. You might come up with other cases you want to express.
  • I wouldn’t be surprised if the corner cases that @mkaro are talking about are already in the guides. We have the ability to do this today, just in a less convenient form. We can supply -R and -E and the server calculates the duration. This allows us to modify the start or end time of the reservation. This RFE is just providing a more convenient form of doing so. If these corner cases are not already in the guides, now might be a great time to fix that.

Bhroam

Thanks Mike for the comments.
Changing duration will be equivalent to changing end time of the of the reservation. So all the cases where changing end time fails should apply to changing duration time.
Taking your example above, if duration is changed to a point where the reservation would have ended, PBS will give a bad time specification message to user. This is the same message user gets when changing end time to a point where it should have already ended.

I have now mentioned this in the design doc now.

@bhroam
Is the value of -D a long or a duration? If it is a duration then you should be able to give it 1:00:00. If so, add an example with this form.
It can be both, updated this in the design

Thank you @tejas.pai. I only ask that you add some descriptive text to your examples, explaining what each of them does.