PBS installation on a single execution host

Hi OpenPBS community team, I tried to install this program to manage the workload. my interest to use OpenPBS to run Numerical model simulations of WaveWatchIII. I have a single node 20 processor with GPU CUDA RX5000 configuration and OS ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS machine. So, I would like to install and run all PBS components on a single machine (Page no.13 - single execution system referred from PBS professional 2021.1 installations & Upgrade Guide). I did two trials to install but not successfully installed. First trial with Openpbs source code tar.gz file from new release v20.0.1, I have followed the instruction given in the INSTALL file but some errors(111) is showing, and the program was not running properly. The second one openpbs_20.0.1.ubuntu_1804.zip tried to install but while pbs start while i am giving terminal automatically terminated and another error showing(server .deb files are not installing properly and showing error / dpkg-deb : error: paste subprocess was killded by signal (Brocken pipe). So, Kindly help me with how to install the program

Hi , I did the below on a new installation of ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS and it worked without any issues

As root user:

• set the static ip address and hostname in /etc/hosts

• create a user account called “pbsdata”

• wget https://github.com/openpbs/openpbs/archive/refs/heads/master.zip

• unzip master.zip

• cd openpbs-master/

• apt install gcc make libtool libhwloc-dev libx11-dev libxt-dev libedit-dev libical-dev libncurses-dev perl postgresql-server-dev-all postgresql-contrib python3-dev tcl-dev tk-dev swig libexpat1-dev libssl-dev libxext-dev libxft-dev autoconf automake build-essential openssh-server net-tools

• apt install expat libedit2 postgresql python3 postgresql-contrib sendmail-bin sudo tcl tk libical3 postgresql-server-dev-all

• ./autogen.sh

• ./configure --prefix=/opt/pbs

• make ; make install

• /opt/pbs/libexec/pbs_postinstall

• edit /etc/pbs.conf and set PBS_START_MOM=1

• chmod 4755 /opt/pbs/sbin/pbs_iff /opt/pbs/sbin/pbs_rcp

• /etc/init.d/pbs start

• . /etc/profile.d/pbs.sh

• ps -ef | grep pbs_

• qstat -Bf

• pbsnodes -av ; pbsnodes -aSjv

Hope this helps

Thank you, Adarsh I have installed it successfully. the procedure you mentioned is perfect. I will start working on my model. if I faced any problem kindly support give the suggestions form OpenPBS community team.

Thank you
Bill Nitzberg
OpenPBS Community Manager

1 Like