OpenPBS roadmap for .rpm systems?

We wanted to roll out OpenPBS 20.x but we couldn’t update the underlying OS to CentOS 8 that easily so have stuck with 19.1.3 for the moment.

The plan was to roll out a test for CentOS 8/OpenPBS 20.x this month then upgrade the whole system.

The recent announcement that CentOS 8 will be the last downstream version of CentOS, and that the support for CentOS 8 has been cut short, from May 31, 2029 to December 31, 2021, we now have to make a decision about what to do next. We are looking around for the next OS. Could be Rocky, could be Ubuntu. It’s hard to tell - Rocky would be the preference but it’s so young and unproven.

Given this, I guess I’d like to know what OpenPBS’s roadmap looks like?

Just wondering if there was anyone from the OpenPBS team that could update us on this question?

Planning is difficult without knowing what the future of PBS looks like. CentOS 8 is out of the question. CentOS 7 has support until June 30th, 2024. But we can’t update to v20.x while we stay on C7.

Also fascinated that OpenPBS 20.x is available for Ubuntu 18.04 but not 20.04, yet CentOS 7 is dropped?

While pre-built packages for OpenPBS are supplied for convenience for recent CentOS, Ubuntu, and openSUSE x86_64 platforms, OpenPBS is known to build and run on many more platforms including but not limited to:

RHEL and CentOS 7 and 8 on x86_64 and ARM64
SLES 12 and 15 on x86_64 and ARM64
Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04 on x86_64 and ARM64
Ubuntu 16.04 on x86_64

It is not decided at present exactly which Linux distros/versions OpenPBS packages will be provided for upon the next release, though I would guess that CentOS 8 packages are unlikely to be provided again.

Changes to CentOS 8 support do not impact any roadmap decisions for OpenPBS as far as compatibility/portability of the codebase.

You can build and run OpenPBS 20 on CentOS 7, it’s just that the convenience packages were not provided at the time of the release (before the CentOS 8 decision/news).

1 Like