PP-371: Remove AIX specific netwins resource and PBS_ibwins hook

This note is to inform the community of work being done to remove support for netwins resource and pbs_ibwins hook in PBS. Details may be found here:

https://pbspro.atlassian.net/wiki/display/PD/PP-371%3A+Remove+AIX+specific+netwins+resource+and+PBS_ibwins+hook

Please feel free to provide feedback on this topic.

The EDD looks good to me.

The EDD looks good to me

The link in the “Epic” opens up PP-280 instead of PP-371. This needs to be corrected.
Also, the change control cannot be stable, but obsolete.

Thanks,
Prakash

Thanks Prakash for valuable pointers. This is corrected.

Looks good to me, I sign off.

Looks good to me , I sign off .

@prakshcv13 , since u have reviewed it, could u please comment or sign-off on updated EDD?

@GajendraSharma, I didn’t receive the notification as the tag in your comment is not correct :). I do have a generic comment on the EDD.
It does say that the support will be dropped, but doesn’t mention the reason behind it. Can we add it?

Thanks,
Prakash

@GajendraSharma, I have two minor comments.

–>point number 7 of “Interface: Remove netwins resource” can be reworded to make it more readable and easily understandable.

–>PBS_ibwins hook was also found at $PBS_HOME/server_priv/hooks as shown below:
[root@machine home]# cd /var/spool/PBS/server_priv/
[root@machine server_priv]# cd hooks/
[root@machine hooks]# ll
total 32
-r–r--r-- 1 root root 68 Feb 26 2016 PBS_ibwins.HK
-r–r--r-- 1 root root 6887 Feb 26 2016 PBS_ibwins.PY
-r–r--r-- 1 root root 80 Feb 26 2016 PBS_translate_mpp.HK
-r–r--r-- 1 root root 10032 Feb 26 2016 PBS_translate_mpp.PY
drwxr-x— 2 root root 4096 Nov 17 10:58 tmp
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 Nov 17 10:58 tracking.TR
[root@machine hooks]# pwd
/var/spool/PBS/server_priv/hooks

Should we also mention this location in last point?

Thanks,
Zulekha

Should we also be removing PBS_AC_ENABLE_AIXIB and PBS_AC_ENABLE_HPS from the spec file together with the corresponding m4 files?

@prakashcv13 , this looks more like a requirement query then EDD query.

@mkaro, if you recall, we decided to only remove the netwins resource and pbs_ibwins hook as part of this after due discussions and input from ScottC, SamG, Subhasis. Rest AIX infrastructure, we decided to keep it intact. The primary reason we took this work was to remove display of netwins resource from external interfaces.

Thanks for clarifying @GajendraSharma. Works for me.

@GajendraSharma, we usually have some explanation even though brief (maybe through a summarized requirement) behind doing an external change in the EDD. Hence, the comment.

@Mahalty : Thanks for your valuable comments. I have addressed the second comment. Thanks! Regarding the rewording of point 7, could you suggest the rewording you have in mind.

@Mahalty : I have tried rewording it, is it understandable now?

@prakashcv13 : You may ask the user story to be better descriptive, here:
https://pbspro.atlassian.net/browse/PP-371

@GajendraSharma, the comment is not about clarity, but a brief mention of the requirement in the EDD. I do understand it is not necessary to have it. I usually prefer to do so as it provides a little bit of the background in the same place and for detail we can look at the ticket.

I do not insist you to do it, however.

Thanks,
Prakash

@GajendraSharma: Yes it is understandable now. Thanks for making that change.
However I have one more minor comment. Could you please replace “/var/spool/PBS/” with $PBS_HOME